[TenTec] Orion II Curiosity

NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Jan 9 04:51:14 EST 2006

Barry,

The first question here is, what kind of watt meter are you using and does
it show "average power" or "peak power"?

If you have a meter reading average power, then everything is probably OK as
is with the Orion.  The interesting thing here is why the TS-50 shows more
power.

If your meter is reading peak power, then that explains the reading on the
TS-50 and there is something set wrong or something wrong with your Orion.

With my DAIWA NS-660P watt meter switched to average power, I show about 35w
on SSB and can whistle it up to about 50w or 60w.  When switched to measure
peak power, I see about 80w on peak and can whistle it up to just under
100w.

Can we assume that besides the mic gain and the processor gain, you have
also checked the PWR setting in SSB mode and ascertained that it is set to
100?

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Barry LaZar
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 4:29 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II Curiosity

	The way I'm lashed up here in the shack has a power meter
continuously on
line. I looked up to see how much I was putting out with the Orion II and
discovered that I was showing about 35-50 watts average on SSB. I changed
mode to CW and found I was putting out about 105-110 Watts.
	I changed over to my Kenwood TS-50 which I have used to reach out
and touch
people all over the world to see what I would read with it. I discovered
that the average was about 75 watts.
	I went back to the Orion II to see if I missed something in my
setup, mic
gain or something. Nothing I played with seemed to allow me to kick up more
power. I played with the speech processor and the mic gain. All I could see
was that I was affecting the ALC, not much else. OK folks, what am I
missing?

73,
Barry
K3NDM