[TenTec] O2 versus Orion

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 9 09:40:09 EST 2006

 > I agree, please let the group know. I am looking hard at the Orion II,
 > but am also thnking about getting a used Orion I. Is it worth the extra
 > dollars to get the II?

         Only you can decide if the II is worth the ~$1700 difference (no
tuner) between a used Orion and a new O2. Ten-Tec's words follow with
my ***comments***:

What is new about the ORION II ?

Super bright, TFT color display with CCFL backlighting.

***comment*** Definitely an advantage if you like color displays.

New 32-bit control processor using the latest generation Freescale
DragonBall Super VZ chip. Provides faster front panel control response
and accelerated remote operation via RS-232. This new processor also
provides the horsepower for a future planned "HIGH SPEED SWEEP"
accessory. Features, price and availability of accessory to be determined.

***comment*** Unable to compare O2 to Orion until V2 firmware for
Orion is completed. Initial indications are Orion's response and
RS-232 performance is much improved, but someone will need to do a
thorough side-by-side comparison to analyze this once Orion's V2 is
released.

All-new firmware from the ground up. DSP code is refined, crafted and
compacted to levels unimaginable even two years ago. Provides faster
(stock) sweep with finer resolution, enhanced DSP automatic notch and
DSP noise reduction.

***comment*** Probably an advantage if you use sweep very much.

All-new suite of ORION II-specific roofing filters is arranged in one,
single bank to allow user to select the absolute ideal roofing filter
for mode, band conditions, and personal preference. The narrow (600
and 300 Hz) filters are now located in the same initial bank with all
the rest. This new arrangement yields subtle improvement in dynamic
range and the new filters have less passband ripple than any we've
ever offered. ORION II comes standard with 20, 6, 2.4, and 1 kHz
installed. Optional filters are 1.8 kHz (model 2000), 600 Hz (model
2001), 300 Hz (model 2002). That's not all - the optional filters cost
less than before!

***comment*** Orion should have identical front-end performance on
SSB with the 1800 Hz filter. On CW, Orion with the Inrad #762 600 Hz
roofing filter should have identical front-end performance to O2.
The only advantage I see is O2's new 300 Hz filter (not available on
Orion because its 250 Hz filter is in the second roofing filter
bank...which has known IMD problems). This is probably not a major
advantage since IMD performance with 300 vs 600 Hz becomes academic
due to very close interfering signals having signal purity issues
(phase noise, clicks, etc) which would override any advantage with the
300 Hz filter.

Mixing architecture for the analog stages has been rearranged to
provide self-correction for frequency stability.

***comment*** Academic issue IMHO. Frequency stability in Orion is
not an issue for normal amateur use.

Digital mode operators will appreciate variable (programmable) line
level output on rear panel completely independent of front panel controls.

***comment*** Probably an advantage if you use the rear panel audio
output to drive a sound card.

ORION II now uses the popular 8 pin mic connector. This broadens the
range of mikes and accessories readily available through the hobby for
your use without finding or making adaptors.

***comment*** Maybe an advantage for some but Orion's 4 pin connector
seems to work fine for the Heil HC4 Pro-Set I use.

         Bottom line to me is O2's major improvement in Sweep
(speed, color, stability, etc). Other improvements are marginal for
my use and not worth $1700 (assuming $4000 new O2 versus $2300 used
Orion).

73, Bill W4ZV