[TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Thu Jan 12 10:26:08 EST 2006

With all of these electret mikes, yes they are basically the same.  But at
the same time, they are uniquely different.

I have both the 705 desk mike, the 701 hand mike and the Heil/Tentec special
edition mike.  The 705 is reported to sound good on both radios being a Omni
VI+ and a Paragon II.  The hand make will get reports of lots of "S" sounds
if too close to the mouth when used on both radios but still sounds good if
used correctly.  The Heil/Tentec is reported to sound great on the Paragon
II but consistently reported as bassey on the Omni VI+.

Case and point:  for one of my sound applications I purchased 5 professional
mikes of the same brand, same model, from the same place at the same time.
They are not consecutive serial numbers but for all practical purposes, the
same.  In a critical listening test with these 5 mikes they all sound
different.  Oh, not much but to the trained and critical ear, different.
All of this has to do with the tension or pressure on the diaphragm during
manufacture of the elements.

So how does one get a good sounding mike?  Unless one is willing to purchase
several and do critical listening tests under controlled environments it
becomes a chance of the draw situation.  You get a good one or you get one
that doesn't sound so good.  That then depends on the listener and their
evaluation of "what sounds good".

One method I have used on SSB, and quite confidently, is with a friend that
knows my voice personally.  We chat almost daily. He always uses the same
radio and speaker.  I can change mikes and he can then make comments.  I
find this to be about the highest level of confidence in this manner than
any other.  Put 5 or 6 stations in the QSO, at different locations,
different radios, different listeners and you'll get that many opinions plus
a few more.

I don't ask for audio reports.  If I get voluntary reports it is because the
audio is really good or really bad.  Most of the time the audio reports are
"great audio, what are you using for a rig?"

73
Bob,. K4TAX