[TenTec] Omni Vi and DSP

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Tue Jan 17 00:57:06 EST 2006

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the input. Yes, I guess I forgot about the auto notch
function on the Omni VI that is performed by the built-in AF DSP. Auto
notch is pretty much useless for CW operation, so I never use it. I have
all the filter slots filled in my Omni VI, so my options for improving
my receive performance are: 1) better noise reduction before the
receiver, using better receive antennas and or a noise cancelling unit
such as the JPS ANC-4 or similar and 2) better AF DSP.... (or getting a
different rig, but I don't feel like I'm done with the Omni VI yet, nor
am I ready to put out the $$ for another rig)... I used a JPS NIR-12
with my Kenwood TS-440SAT to great advantage. The Omni VI is a much
better receiver, in a lot of ways; ie. narrower 1st IF filters, more
choices of 2nd IF filters including a narrower one than the TS-440 had,
lower phase noise, probably a better front end AND built-in AF DSP. The
built in AF DSP does not however have all the neat adjustments that the
JPS NIR-12 has, so I suspect that it could help. I wonder if connecting
the JPS NIR-12 after the built-in DSP may not be the best way to do it.
I wonder if anyone has used an outboard AF DSP unit INSTEAD OF the the
built-in DSP, rather than IN ADDITION TO the built-in? That would
require getting into the rig to pick up the audio to feed the NIR-12,
since in the Omni VI the audio goes through the built-in DSP circuitry,
whether or not you have it activated.

DE N6KB