[TenTec] OMNI VI Plus, MMTTY, and FSK

KA5M@aol.com KA5M at aol.com
Tue Jan 24 10:32:05 EST 2006

I used the FSK keying circuit specifically for the OMNI VI Plus shown on
http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html to build a COMM port to radio interface.
I used a 2N4402 PNP transistor.  As shown, pin 3 (TXD) of the DB9 comm port
goes through a 1K resistor to the emitter.  The base is grounded, and the
collector goes to Mark/Space on the rear of the OMNI VI Plus. When I try to transmit
RTTY, all I get is a steady tone.  The radio is not being keyed.  (PTT using
a 2N4401 NPN transistor work fine, no problem.)

Has anyone built their own transistor FSK and PTT interface and got it to
work?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

73,
KA5M, Marsh