[TenTec] Argonaut V Transmit Audio on SSB

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 11:33:38 EST 2006

The latest and possibly last (hurray!) word on the
ARGO V transmit audio here is that that my new Argo
(from Jan 2006 with 1.08 firmware) seemingly sprang to
life after turning "OFF" the SP (speech processor)
that was set to "3" of 10.

After closely listening to the recordings, it is
obvious that the muted audio is not the result of
rolloff at the low end frequencies alone. The SP
function may have been coded and tested for the pre
1.08 hardware revisions or maybe the internal pot in
my unit is misalligned.

No value of speech processor setting would provide
good audio at any mic gain setting of the radio. But
the "OFF" position sounds reasonable, at least within
the 350hz rolloff TT suggests and much fuller at the
top.

So to the guys that reported their tx audio was doing
fine, I expect they were running previous to 1.08 of
the firmware or have 1.08 and leave the SP off.

This is a great small radio, and the absence of speech
processor, RF Gain, and selectable AGC which would
seem on paper to be deal killers for any desktop radio
really are not factors at this QTH. Overall a 9 of 10
I'd say - a keeper.

73,
de WB8YQJ/6