[TenTec] openwire feed OT

JAMES HANLON knjhanlon at msn.com
Tue Jan 31 22:58:25 EST 2006

Paul,

Fair Radio probably still sells shielded 300 ohm twinlead that is about the same diameter as RG8.  You could simply connect a section long enough to suit your purposes to your open wire feed line and bring it into the shack through the same port that you were going to use for your coax.  The shield on the 300 ohm cable will make it insensitive to any nearby metallic objects.  I know it works, because I run about 30 feet of this stuff through my house to get from my open wire feedline which comes into my primary shack through a dryer vent opening to my second shack in the garage.  It handles 200 watts cw from one of my boatanchor rigs with no problem (a Globe King 275).  My TT Argonaut 505 also does well through it, so the additional losses cannot be all that bad.  And it will let you keep things simple.

Jim Hanlon, W8KGI