[TenTec] Sweep on Orion II

Ken Case caseke at cox.net
Mon Jul 3 14:03:24 EDT 2006

I want to thank Gerry and Carl for their clear (and quick!) responses.  Their responses were very enlightening from a technical point of view, and also caused me to realize I had done a poor job (in addition to being too wordy) of asking the question.

My real question was if the Orion and Orion II rigs have always had this offset in the sweep (which appears to be technically proper), or if the software in either rig in the past compensated for whichever sideband was selected such that a natural sounding signal occurred when the sweep peak was at 0.

It seemed to me that (in the past) if I tuned such that the peak of the sweep was at 0, the station was right there in a natural sounding voice.  Or, alternatively, if I was talking with somebody, the peak was right at the 0 point on the sweep screen.  Did I just imagine this?