[TenTec] Dual Receivers

Barry Gross barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 19:29:52 EDT 2006

On 7/6/06, Bill Tippett <btippett at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> N6KB:
>
> >Two identical phase locked receivers in a single box would be a first (
> at least in the past decade or two )  and would be welcomed by low band
> operators wanting to use diversity/interferometry/phasing techniques to
> dig the DX out of the noise. Using DSP correlation processes with the
> outputs from two identical front ends and IFs might make the best weak
> signal receiver ever marketed to hams.
>
>          The Flex-Radio SDR-X may have exactly this capability.
> It's one of the most exciting things I've heard of and should
> actually allow you to **eliminate** in-band interference like
> splatter, clicks, etc.
>
> >In all the various rigs that have a second receiver, the second receiver
> is second rate, even if it is as good as most receivers available ten
> years ago.
>
>          I believe the IC-7800 does have identical receivers,
> but of course you pay more than twice the price of Orion to get
> that capability.  (Maybe the FTdx9000 does also).

Correct - the FTDX-9000 and IC-7800 have identical receivers but in their
wisdom (NOT), their engineers didn't give these radios the capability of
tuning both receivers with the same vfo.

For those of us who regularly use dual reception, the inferiority of the
Orion subreceiver in crowded bands with strong signals is a constant thorn
in the side.

73,
Barry N1EU