[TenTec] Ten-Tec PA design

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Fri Jul 14 14:37:45 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 12:42 -0400, Bill Tippett wrote:
> K4KGY wrote:
>
>  >The question of why TT didn't included a breaker instead
> of a fuse--well in a way they did--it's in their matching power
> supply. This is an electronic breaker not a magnetic and it works
> as good if not better than the magnetic. The fuse in the rig is
> then just a backup to protect the wiring system in case the
> breaker should fail and to protect same if someone uses other
> than a TT power supply. TT has always recommended to use an
> Air-Pax breaker if their power supply was not used and if sized
> correctly it works fine.
>
>          Thanks Jim!  Someone else responded privately that
> Orion internally has a current limiting circuit (see below):
> The Orion I has a "current limit" circuit in it that limits the PA supply
> current by reducing RF drive to the PA when current exceeds a set level.
> Reference A5 ALC Circuitry  R19  and A0 Input/Output R63 sense resistor.

ALC circuitry!! Just a couple days ago I was told there was NO ALC
circuitry in the Orion. Just after I'd pointed out that ALC could lead
to faster rise times and a sharp transition from rise to level that
could contribute to key clicks...

So there is ALC inside the radio and it can have that effect.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,