[TenTec] Fwd: Is Orion really worth it? Given thepublishedproblems?

ROBERT CARROLL w2wg at comcast.net
Tue Jul 18 08:08:37 EDT 2006

A while back I spoke to Alpha about ALC in connection with some Yaesu issues
(thump and loss of ALC control in an early MP--Yaesu issued a fix).  They
strongly recommended not using an ALC loop unless you have a TX capable of
more than 100W, in which case the ALC should be set up for amp protection in
the event of fumble fingers setting the transceiver for 200W out.  Their
feeling was that ALC was useful for protection only, and if you were set up
so that you were routinely bumping up the ALC line when keying or with an
SSB signal, you were not set up correctly and were probably degrading
linearity.  Of course if you have an amp with a damage level not far above
the normal operating drive, you need the ALC.  A couple of 8877 amps without
a fast overdrive trip come to mind.

Bob W2WG