[TenTec] Fwd: Is Orion really worth it? Given thepublished problems?

CATFISHTWO at aol.com CATFISHTWO at aol.com
Tue Jul 18 12:50:45 EDT 2006

In reference to the ALC thing, I quite using an ALC line a bunch of  years
ago when an old Tube rig ( ft 101ee I think) was running into a Tube amp (  I
think a Clipperton L) and the alc would cause the amp to motor boat, on  TX.
After a couple of different trys at a fix, one fellow on the air said  he had
the same problem a while back and just disconnect the ALC.

I did that and it ran fine from there on out.  I haven't hooked on up  since.
BUT what I do is on a manual tune amp, take it up to max smoke, then back
the input down 5 watts or so. that way the amp is in resonance, but not trying
to melt the plates.

with the alpha 87 a I just run it legal power or less. ( It will do well
over 2K in a dummy load) and usually drive it at 1K .

I am also aware that I have no ALC on the linear to rig loop so I tend to
watch it a bit more. 47 watts from the Orion will do better than 1k on the alpha
 and the grid current stays well down in the "green" range.

works for me, for what ever that is worth.

tom N6AJR

appliance operator  extraordinair !!!

BTW I have had probably 3 clipperton ls, and amp supply 1000nt, a couple of
ameritron 811's and 811 H's,  a bunch of sweep tune amps , a couple of IC
2-KL's, an alpha 76A,  2 als 500's, an als 600 and a bunch of brick  for HF and
2/440 and 6 m.

In a message dated 7/18/2006 8:09:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,