[TenTec] My Rare Ten Tec microphone

Peter Connors monotreme at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 20 14:02:20 EDT 2006

They can be OK if used at very close spacing to the intended sound
source; the reduced gain needed at the rig input can help reduce
reflections, blower noise and unwanted vox action. This is workable with
a fist microphone but counterproductive in a desk microphone unless you
want neck problems.
Outside amateur radio, in the course of a 35 year broadcast career I can
only recall having used omnis as 'personal' mikes. Cardioid,
hypercardiod and even figure of 8 patterns were more common.
With a group in a circle you might prefer to drop in a cardioid from
overhead to use the circular pattern at 90 degrees off axis with
echo/noise rejection at 180 degrees'off the top'.
Close spacing to cardioids can exhibit a degree of added sensitivity to
low frequencies that is easily eq-ed out - or even more added if you are
an essb proponent.

73
Pete, G4PLZ