[TenTec] "Being a Contrarian . . ."

Martin Ewing aa6e at ewing.homedns.org
Sun Jul 30 16:23:17 EDT 2006

I was surprised that the QST review referred to the on-line discussions,
mainly on this list.  Their discussion was pretty even-handed, I thought.

The tone in QST is definitely less bubbly and booster-ish than you read
in lots of other reviews -- even in QST.  Is that good or bad?  Despite
some glitches here and there, the basic performance report really
shines.   Isn't that the mainstream view on the tentec list?

G3SJX's Radcom (RSGB) review showed less familiarity with the bugs and
frustrations that some of us have run into. His "biggest disappointment
concerns the VFO tuning knob resolution."  Different strokes for
different folks!

It's a big problem with reviews that they focus mainly on technical
"speeds and feeds", which can be measured objectively.
Software/firmware behavior is much harder for a reviewer to deal with in
a short review period.  QST does point out that the performance of the
rig can change radically from one firmware version to the next.  So true.

73 Martin AA6E