[TenTec] Orion II on order, filter questions

Martin Ewing martin.ewing at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 15:11:17 EDT 2006

Bill Tippett wrote:
...For this reason, unless you are expecting
> extremely close-spaced interference (such as in contests,
> multi-transmitter environments, etc), you may not need
> ANY optional filters.

Right.  The issue is whether you need to pull out a very weak signal in
the presence of very strong signals *inside the default roofing filters'
passbands*.  As a non-contester, that's rarely my problem - even though
I often like to work weak stations.  I'm happy with the default Orion I
filters.

For some situations, close-in IMD really does matter, but the current
emphasis on having many roofing filters is overdone as far as most ham
operation is concerned.  The default filters are already a lot better
than most rigs provide.

73 Martin AA6E