[TenTec] Cleaning Argonaut 515 PTO

Ed - K9EW k9ew57 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 08:44:32 EDT 2006

Hi Russ,

You will probably get several suggestions for relubricating your PTO, so
I'll throw my two cents worth in the pile for you...

First, I'd recommend rebuilding it, not just freeing up the hardened
grease.  Rebuilding doesn't necessarily involve the TenTec PTO rebuild kit;
you can just take the PTO apart, clean it up, then relube and reassemble.
If you find any damaged pieces, then you can order the kit from TenTec.

Second, take a look at my website (www.k9ew.net), under Projects.  It's not
always obvious how to remove the PTO, and I have documentation there on how
to do this.  There is also a reference for the detailed disassembly,
lubrication, and reassembly of a PTO.

As far as what to use for lubrication, I'm leaning toward white lithium
grease (garage door grease, available at Sears, et al) because the tuning is
really smooth an effortless.  The synthetic grease will probably last
longer, but I've found the tuning is a little stiffer than with the white
lithium grease.

Hope this helps.

73,
ed - k9ew