[TenTec] AM, was "Just noticed ..."

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at hawaiiantel.net
Mon Jun 12 23:07:23 EDT 2006

Joel,

Yes I see what you mean. Using the same amount of power in the remaining
sideband as was in that sideband before would result in the same SNR. I
wonder about doubling the power in one sideband and eliminating the
other. Same total amount of sideband power, just not two sidebands.
Would the same carrier level be sufficient for demodulation? It may be
that with DSB the two opposite sideband's power peaks occur in opposite
phases of the modulating audio, not simultaneously. If all that power
were put into a single sideband the total instantaneous peak power level
in that one sideband would be twice what you had with DSB, requiring
twice as much carrier for proper demodulation. Someone better versed in
the mathematics of modulation could clarify this.

DE N6KB