[TenTec] Omni A ALC Problem

Carter, K8VT k8vt at ameritech.net
Fri Jun 16 08:43:09 EDT 2006

Bill Nicolson wrote:
>  Hi All, Well I got my Omni A on the air tonight and It seems ok
>  except the ALC doesn't work properly. If I turn the ALC down all the
>  way and bring up the drive the AlC light never comes on and I can
>  trip the current protection in the 262m power supply (>18A) ~100w on
>  40 meters Where should I look first? Any Ideas?
>
>  Tnx de Bill K2rig

I vote for the two ALC diodes...same thing happened to my Omni D. BTW,
at least on the D, the diode location is as follows:

With the radio sitting in its normal position (front facing you) and
with the top off, they are on a circuit board in a metal enclosure in
the extreme left rear corner of the radio. Follow the RF output lead
from the final amp module. It will plug into an RCA jack on the
enclosure in question. Take the top metal cover off the enclosure (2
screws) and the board you need will be mounted vertically on the right
wall of the enclosure. Gently pry this board to the left to remove it.
Check/change all diodes as necessary. It's really a fairly easy job.

Good luck!

73,
Carter K8VT

P.S. Try not to trip the breakers again. You are lucky they went before
the finals...