[TenTec] Centaur cooling mod for lower noise?

Jerry Volpe kg6tt at arrl.net
Sun Jun 18 17:38:45 EDT 2006

Have you found a way to quiet down your Centaur?

I have probably used my Centaur 5 hours in the past year. Not that it is
a bad amp. It is a NOISY amp. I'd love an opportunity to quiet it down.
But as I look at the physical layout I can see that simply going to a
'softer' cooling fan is not a viable answer as the fan must push
sufficient quantities of air over one tube to the next and then finally
to the last tube. Too bad Ten-Tec didn't put three small fans on the
rear panel each pushing air over its own tube and then exhausting thru
the top cover. Well it is what it is.

On the other hand placing a temperature sensor near the final tube and
using that sensor to 'spin up' the existing fan only as needed  but keep
that fan in a much slower mode the rest of the time might be the answer.
I am sure that I am not the first to consider this. Rather than
re-invent an existing wheel I am seeking others who have successfully
modified a Centaur. Did you keep the details? Willing to share them?

I have only found one reference to this type of Centaur mod on the web
and it is a French site. Somewhat useful nevertheless.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT
Fairfield