[TenTec] NR - Fact or Fiction?

Kc9cdt@aol.com Kc9cdt at aol.com
Thu Mar 2 16:30:21 EST 2006

Orion II for two weeks now....HAd Original Orion for over a year, so I am an
experienced O operator. Used it in contests and weak sig DX.

1) Hey guys... THE NR IS BROKE!
Why do I say that. I had Orion (original 1.371 for a long time. NR worked
pretty darn well, it actually helped and it didn't cause all this crackly noise
and distotion...

It's BROKE!  I don't understand why this has happened? I noticed how terrible
it was the first 1/2 hour I used the OII.

In 1.371 it worked the best it has ever been.

2) Hey guys the TX audio is BROKE too. When I had Orion with 1.371 I got
excellant audio reports. Now I have OII, I am using the exact same Mic and
settings. I just today got 3 signal reports saying my audio was overall OK, BUT
occationally I had some kind of high end distorted DSP like Processed like problem.
Whatever that is? Originally I heard a lot of foks on the air say that the
Orions they had heard sounded terrible, that was before we all learned to adj TX
audio, rolloff, TX BW, Mic gain and SP levels for our voice and Mic
combination. Once I got all that right (Thanks to a lot of help from this list) I got
as gos of audio reports as I get with my Drake and Collins (And that's saying a
lot)

I love the color screen, it is actuall making the radio easier to use.

I guess I am relly having a problem understanding how these BASIC things are
broke. What we are talking about here is not little suttle things that only a
few people might notice, these are no brainers to test and be sure are fixed
before a version is released.

Right now if I had the choice I would take an Orion original, version 1.371
WITH the color screen and new Mic setup.

I did send a note to Dits N Bits, after all they are the ones that need the
details on out problems.

No, I don't want to send it back, I really love it. I just expected all the
basic stuff to work day one, realizing some of the fine tuning may take a
while.

73,
Lee, KC9CDT