[TenTec] Which one ? PRO III or Orion

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Thu Mar 2 17:21:50 EST 2006

I'm thankful every day for my Omni VI Plus with its tummy full of filters.
Each and every day it seems to get better and better as compared to the new
breed of software defined radios.  You name the brand, from what I read,
hear and observe here on the desk, they ALL have their ills. Some just worse
than others.  Notice I didn't say "better".  Oh, you say a 2nd general
coverage receiver is needed, that's what the Paragon II is for and it sits
neatly under the Omni VI Plus.  And it transmits too.

Key clicks -- na da.
QSK -- quite and fast
NR --  works even on the farmers electric fence pulser and the wife's Hoover
AGC -  solid as a rock, no pumping, no blooming
Stability -- better than 10 Hz from turn on, that's good enough for me.
Software -- hasn't been changed in 10 years and never crashes
Digital modes -- works all of them
Digital interface -- none needed
Spectrum scope -- none needed
Color display --  amber and green
Receive audio -- excellent, no EQ needed
Transmit audio -- excellent, no EQ needed
High power transmit -- that's why the Centurion is on the desk
True AM transmit -- that's what the Heath Apache is for

Really folks, sometimes I wish the manufacturers would recall all of these
new breed of radios and hold them for about 5 years.  Maybe then WE would be
ready for the new technology and the new technology would be ready for us.

Sorry, Scott

73
Bob, K4TAX