[TenTec] HC-4

Lynn Lamb w4nl at charter.net
Fri Mar 3 20:23:09 EST 2006

I like the HC-4 here in the Pro-set.  Orion I (2.055): the gain is set at
40, SP of 3, Tx Eq +10, 2550 BW and 150 Hz Rolloff with not the greatest
voice on the planet.  Vox is set for close talking at 3% Trip level, 17%
Anti-Vox level and .40 sec Hang.  All is cool.. same as 1.372.  BTW this is
an up-to-date radio (!), first production run.  This may be more important
than we care to talk about.

Try Bill's, W4ZV suggestions relative to the RF gain vice the NR on CW,
you'll like it.

Mine may not be as pretty as the Orion II, but it works well for me and
believe me I'm not on 75 SSB very much.  I like what was posted the other
day about one buys a vehicle for what it's going to be used for and the
poster said the same should be applied to a radio.. good advice.

This one is used for DXing, contesting on CW, and weak signal operating.
Good coax/connectors, antennas, bonding, knowing the radio, reading,
watching this reflector, talking to those who have been there/done that, and
reading the manual are part of being happy.  Bottom line with the Orion in
the final analysis is that it hears better than anything on the market,
period.

73, Lynn W4NL