[TenTec] 400 Hz CW (was: INRAD audio mod helps Omni 6 Low Pitch CW!)

Ken Adams K5KA k5ka at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 4 08:22:19 EST 2006

W4ZV:
>          Me too Chuck!  Age 61,
>          I don't think listening to low pitches has
>much to do with hearing loss.  I've been doing this
>for years simply because it seems to give my ear/brain
>much better S/N for weak signals.

Age here is 60 and I believe this to be true also.  I am mostly
a CW contester and prefer 400hz 95% of the time.  But I can still
hear those 800hz tones ok also.  I believe the real reason I prefer
400 vs 800 is that the lower standard allows me to distinguish the difference
between 2 stations calling at the same time ..... ie;

Listening at 400hz:
      1 caller at 400hz and another at 450hz = 12.5% difference in freq.
vs.
Listening at 800hz:
      1 caller at 800hz and another at 850hz = 6.25 % difference in tones.

Ken K5KA