[TenTec] Observatons

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 11:32:22 EST 2006

> TT - I ran Orion on 1.371 and was pretty darn pleased. I am
> not very  happy with OII at this time as compared to Orion 1.371.

> But right now it is no contest from an operational point of
> view that the 1.xxx  firmware is indeed better whether the
> 2.0 firmware is on the Classic Orion or the O2.

I think this is an interesting discussion, and am willing to bet T-T is
reading the list, even though not actively engaging in it (which I find not
the least bit surprising).

We each have a feature or two that are our "hot buttons" and pick on them
endlessly.   Whether it's NR, or NB, or notch, or something else that
doesn't seem to work as well as, or like, we were used to.  I have my own
hot buttons on that list :-)

But .. The II fixed degradation (pending someone measuring it) that showed
up using narrow roofing filters.  It represents an enormous stride, IMHO,
in overall stability and reliability of the firware/DSP.  I didn't think the
color screen was going to be a big deal, and it isn't the 'one great thing',
but I like it.  I think the other items will get sorted out.

To worry that the II in it's present state is going to be like the Orion
from a development perspective -- I think maybe you just didn't have your
Orion early enough in the cycle.  There's no comparison.  If the II or 2.xxx
code moves forward as much as the Classic Orion did on a relative basis over
it's first year, we're going to have one heck of a radio on our hands ...
And I'm sure, still, some things not everyone will like :-)

Gant/NQ5T