[TenTec] Another Orion 2.055 issue - fuzzy tone

K4IA at aol.com K4IA at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 22:11:53 EST 2006

I am noticing another issue with 2.055.  On CW (could be on SSB too  but I
don't spend any time there), after a while the audio starts to become very
fuzzy, raspy and distorted.
This happened twice tonight each time about 10 minutes into a  QSO.  Both the
CW sidetone on transmit and the received signal are  affected.

I had the NR on (at 3) and the bandwidth at 400hz but turning off  the NR,
changing bands, changing VFOs, and opening up the bandwidth did not  make the
problem go away.  It was not as noticeable with the bandwidth  opened up above
1500 hz but as soon as I narrowed it down, the fuzzy sound was  back.  Cycling
the radio will clear it up.  Turning the volume  way up and then back down
also seems to clear it up.

In layman's terms and understanding it sounds like the combination of  narrow
bandwidth and NR makes the DSP go haywire and self-destruct. The  signal is
eating itself and continues to do so even after you turn off the  NR.

This is a problem that existed in early 1.3xx software when I first got my
Orion over two years ago.  It was the source of a huge number of  complaints
back then.  This had been fixed but now it seems to be  back.

Anyone else hearing this?

K4ia  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA