[TenTec] Roof filters

Richard Williams richardw at mho.com
Mon Mar 13 18:35:36 EST 2006

Bob,

I had the Orion I and now the Orion II.   Purchased all the option filters
for both (International Radio for the I and the standard TenTec ones for the
II).

I have never used the 300 in either radio; and the 600 one only because I
have the filter selection on auto and when the DSP filter is narrowed to
under 600, it kicks in.

You have to remember that roofing filters are different than the filters
that are in other radios.  In the Orion you use the DSP filter to narrow the
bandpass and the roofing filters are only used if a strong signal is close
to the freq you are on and it is "compromising receiver performance".   In
fact,  using a very tight filter on a weak signal can actually hinder your
ability to here the signal.  Additionally, if the station you are listening
to not weak to begin with, you will probably not notice any compromised
performance in the receiver in the first place.

So, the type of operator you are will have a big impack on whether you even
need additional filters in the first place.  In a nutshell, if your fortai
is weak signal DX (especially on 160) and you like to operate in a big
contest, the narrower filters might come in handy.

That's my "two cents worth", but lets see what the multitude of others
think.