[TenTec] orion with 2.055 firmware -- headphones?

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at Blomand.Net
Wed Mar 15 18:28:56 EST 2006

Regarding the using of Hi-Fi speaker on the radios, keep in mind that these
speakers are designed to have extended frequency response way beyond the
needed and capable response of the radio.  And in the event the radio audio
stages have excessive thermal or white noise it will be reproduced in the
wide band speaker.  Those speakers with limited frequency response will
serve to make the radio sound better.

Also, Hi Fi speakers are designed to be driven from a power amp with a very
high dampening factor.  This high damping factor doesn't exist in monolithic
amp stages as used in transceivers.  Again, something that just doesn't work
properly as a combination.

Now with that said, if you use a Hi Fi speaker and it sounds good to you
with your radio, then there is nothing wrong.  It is just not for everybody
and every speaker model / radio model combination.  And no one has mentioned
room acoustics which plays a large factor in the way a system sounds.

If you believe you need more audio then get a Crown DC300A and a pair of
Altec A-7 speakers.  Guaranteed to cover the sound of a 707 at take-off
power at 100 yards.

73
Bob, K4TAX
A connoisseur of fine radios