[TenTec] orion with 2.055 firmware -- headphones?

CATFISHTWO at aol.com CATFISHTWO at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 19:05:21 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/15/2006 3:52:13 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
RMcGraw at Blomand.Net writes:

Regarding the using of Hi-Fi speaker on the radios, keep in mind that  these
speakers are designed to have extended frequency response way beyond  the
needed and capable response of the radio.  And in the event the  radio audio
stages have excessive thermal or white noise it will be  reproduced in the
wide band speaker.  Those speakers with limited  frequency response will
serve to make the radio sound better.

Also,  Hi Fi speakers are designed to be driven from a power amp with a very
high  dampening factor.  This high damping factor doesn't exist in monolithic

amp stages as used in transceivers.  Again, something that just  doesn't work
properly as a combination.

Now with that said, if you  use a Hi Fi speaker and it sounds good to you
with your radio, then there  is nothing wrong.  It is just not for everybody
and every speaker  model / radio model combination.  And no one has mentioned
room  acoustics which plays a large factor in the way a system sounds.

If you  believe you need more audio then get a Crown DC300A and a pair of
Altec  A-7 speakers.  Guaranteed to cover the sound of a 707 at take-off
power at 100 yards.

73
Bob, K4TAX
A connoisseur of fine  radios

===================================

I agree, my hearing is so messed up, due to jets in the military for 8  years
and then 28 years with the state of Ca. driving emergency service  vehicles,
mostly with the windows down, caused massive hearing loss.

I find small ( under 1 foot square) speakers seem to work best for  me.  I
need the bass boosted and the treble boosted to sound "normal" to  me. the small
stereo speakers work well for me!!

Its like the fellow on the wine tour said to us. someone asked what is a
good wine.  and Old Jack said" if it taste good to you, its a good  wine.  He
went on to say, it doesn't matter if the bottle cost $10 or  $10,000 , if it does
not taste good to you, its not a good wine..

same with speakers and head phones, if they sound good to you they are good
speakers.

tom N6AJR