[TenTec] Speaking of Headphones (Orion)

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 16 21:23:01 EST 2006

Oh, I missed something in the thread, due to my SOP in using receivers.  Way
back when I was a young ham, some Elmer taught me to first always turn down
the volume when going from phones to speaker, and to have the volume down,
(as I stated) when you first plug in your phones.  I guess the first was to
keep from blasting neighboring hams at Field Day or something.

I have always had these little SOPs I picked up along the way.  I always
leave the rotary switched VOMs set to AC volts and the highest range.

That is because at my first Field Day, someone borrowed a friend's meter,
and left it on ohms when he finished.  Then he picked it up again to check
the generator voltage, and did not look at the knob setting!  You can guess
the rest, lots of smoke when the 115 VAC hit the fine wire of the resistors
in that old pre war meter.  We did get it fixed for the owner, and all was
well.  (A big junk box helps at times like that.)

However, I have never blown a meter my self, and take pride in not bending
pointers.

Now the first time I used a rig with an iron vane Emico meter, I admit I was
about to faint when it banged the peg, and it jumped all around as you
keyed.
Finally got used to those
73,
Stuart