[TenTec] Further Orion Sub Receiver -- Some results

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Fri Mar 17 20:05:37 EST 2006

That would also depend on what you were measuring that was down 33 dB.  If
you are measuring distortion as a percentage of power on a scale calibrated
in dBm (typical of an RF spectrum analyzer)  the formula is 10 * log
(P1/P2), and -33 dB would be .05% distortion.  On the other hand, a
*voltage* change of -33 dB would be 20 * log (E1/E2), which would be
2.23872% .  Converting a power change to a voltage change implies the square
root of the power to impute the voltage and current, therefore:

33 /10 = 3.3
Anti-log of 3.3 = 1995.2623
Square root of 1995.2623 = 44.668359
Inverse of 44.668359 = .0223872 = 2.23872%

I guess the question is: is THD measured in voltage or power?

Ron Castro N6AHA
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC