[TenTec] Orion Sub Receiver BW

Martin, AA6E martin.ewing at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 10:37:35 EST 2006

Lin,

To clarify my earlier post, the processing delay of the DSP does not
exactly indicate the amount of "work" the DSP has to do (although it
is related).  An N-tap filter has to wait N sample times before it
delivers its first "correct" output.  That's where the filter delay
mostly comes from, I expect.  Of course, the DSP processor has to be
fast enough to handle the necessary computations (~N multiply &
accumulate ops for the bandpass filters) before the next sample comes
along.

I did not check the AN, NR, etc.  That would be interesting.

I did find that for AM & FM modes, the receiver delay was 6 ms,
independent of tap number. These modes use a simpler filtering scheme,
where the tap number setting may not be used.  (See Doug Smith's
overview at http://www.doug-smith.net/kf6dx1.pdf .)

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing at gmail.com - Ask me if you'd like a free Google Mail account
http://blog.aa6e.net