[TenTec] 706 Microphone VOX Switch Problem

John Huffman hjohnc at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 18 16:09:42 EST 2006

My new (January) 706 microphone doesn't work the way I'd like.  I have it hooked
to my Pegasus.

The VOX button works fine when the microphone is connected directly to the
radio.  But, I keep the Pegasus away from the oprating desk.

With a 4 foot or a 6 foot extension the VOX switch doesn't work correctly.  All
other functions - audio and PTT work fine.

Typically, the VOX button turns on when pressed and operates fine, but won't
turn off.  Occasionaly after repeated pressing the VOX button, it will go off.
Mostly no matter how many thines you press the VOX button on the mike, it stays
lit.

It will always go off if I disconnect the microphone.  Rarely the VOX switch
won't go on when pressed.

These problems never happen when the mic is directly attrached to the radio.

I suspected a ground problem and I've tried a direct wire between the mic base
and the radio ground with no help.

I suspected low voltage due to the legnth of the extension.  But, I get 8.1V at
the mic connector and paralleling a 9V battery (which brought the voltage up to
8.7v) didn't help.

Suggestions welcomed.

73 de NA8M
John