[TenTec] Orion AM--interesting experiment

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Mon Mar 20 01:38:59 EST 2006

While reading over some posts, I got a wild idea that I just tried for AM listening on the ham bands.  Try this setup:

Audio:  Left on Main, Right on Sub
Main and Sub on AM
Main and Sub BW: 6000
Main PBT +2500
Sub PBT - 2500
Both Main and Sub on same frequency
AGC, RF Gain, ATTN set the same on both receivers

Listening on headphones to some guys on 3870 right now, and it sounds fantastic!  The recovered bandwidth is much wider, there is far less apparent distortion and a more open sound.  There is some "platforming" as the fades happen, but this sounds like a quantum leap over the standard AM setup.

Ron
N6AHA