[TenTec] Questions about NR i.e. Orion

OE3ZK Gerhard oe3zk at aon.at
Fri Mar 24 02:56:38 EST 2006

Thank you Bill, Jerry, Sinisa, Lin and others for the debate about NR.

It did help my understanding!

What I read in these responses is that many of us see filtering /bandwidth reduction as the sole means of improving the ability to recover information from noise. I feel this misses the point that I am exploring. In his 1948 landmark paper, Claude Shannon extends the work of Nyquist and Hartley. Significatly Shannon refers to statistical processes and entropy (the degree of randomness) of a signal. In the case of CW some of that processing takes place in our heads. This says to me that data processing ability ultimately becomes key to signal recovery and as there is a clear difference in the entropy of coded data vs analog voice, those processes should be different. I very much doubt that deep space communications relies on bandwidth reduction alone

What I fail to understand is the claim by users of Linrad and Winrad that DSP noise reduction is improved by processing noise in a much wider band than the signal itself. It appears to be born out by examples, I just don't know why...

73 Gert, OE3ZK