[TenTec] Orion II NR Performance Measurements

Duane A Calvin ac5aa at juno.com
Sun Mar 26 13:52:14 EST 2006

Try something that several of us here tried over the weekend - Turn NR
off, find a weak, at the edge of the noise CW signal, zoom in him with
the BW at 100.  Now, go adjust your filter taps from 199 down to
something around 120.  Voila.  If you watch it on a spectral display, the
passband becomes "flatter" and wider, but with sharp skirts.  But the
signal now becomes more audible against the noise.  This was a surprise
to me, but it was repeatable on several signals.  (If you run the taps
any lower than 122 on our Orion I's, the bandwidth control would cause
all sorts of strangenesses, essentially opening all kinds of strange
passbands in different places.  I have to write that one up for
Ditsnbits.)

        73,  Duane