[TenTec] How do the new filters work in the recent Jupiter Firmware upgrade?

Fred Lemley flemley at swbell.net
Sun Mar 26 15:20:26 EST 2006

The RF gain is much smoother and the S meter acts like S meters of many
rigs of the past.  That is the meter "rises" to the point of
attenuation of the signal; an S9 signal starts going away with the gain
cutback showing S9 on the meter.

The narrower bandwidth helps tremendously as compared to the earlier
versions.  An example:

I found an S8-9 signal at 7029.5 that seemed fairly steady in strength.
 I was fortunate enough to find another signal of the same level at
7029.2.  With the bandwith at 180 cycles, either of the signals
disappeared when zerobeat.  All that could be heard on one of the
signals were some key clicks much below the desired signal.

I wouldn't say that the Jupiter is a contest rig by any means, but the
improvement is enough that I'll listen around more when a CW contest is
on to see if the results will repeat.  On SSB, it seems (to my ears)
that adjacent QSOs of approximately the same signal strength were
easier to eliminate.  Signal that were 30-60db (guess meter readings)
over S9 took a more narrow bandwidth to eliminate the offending signal
as one might expect.

All in all, it seems to be a welcome improvement to an already great
medium priced rig.  I, for one, will be keeping mine.  And I suppose
I'll find out how good it is when compared to an OMNI V with a full set
of filters as soon as a friend of mine gets his back from a tuneup from
TT service.  We're going to side by side them and make a few notes...it
will at least be interesting comaprison and a good time.

73 de Fred
K5QBX