[TenTec] Johnson matchbox tuner

Randy Russe3ll lord_russell53 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 10:01:51 EST 2006

I am using a johnson matchbox right now on 30M. The
antenna I'm using for that is '65 feet high and 42
foot legs). Flat and good pwr out.  From my
experience, It's easier to make the Johnson do what
it's a designed to do with Hi-z xmission lines.  With
the Matchbox, there is no substitute for 600 ohm open
line. I've tried 300 ohm and it was a hit and miss.
450 ohm was a lot better, but still wholes in what I
could and couldn't hit. I have another antenna and
also have used the Johnson on a doz. other balanced
line antennas.  I was able to get full all-band
service  Two suggestions that seem to be true for me.
Better to design antennas slightly off resonance.  On
17 meters, I use the 15M setting, on 30M I use the 20
meter setting.  Tell your friend to make hinself a
hundred feet or so of homebrew line. There is one
source produciong it also. He can make it faster than
waiting on the mail man, and one of the few things in
amateur radio that can be homebrewed and outperform
expensive factory products. Pay attention to the
designed impedance range of the Matchbox and you will
have no problems.