[TenTec] Orion & SDR1000 thoughts

Martin, AA6E martin.ewing at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 10:04:41 EST 2006

Hello,

I am a "long time" Orion owner and follower of things related to SDRs.

Lately, I've started to monitor the FlexRadio discussion lists
relating to the SDR1000.  At first glance, the SDR open source
software backend looks like what some (but not all, by any means!)
Orion users have been wanting from TT.  On the other hand, the Orion's
self-contained box and controls are much more mainstream for ham
radio.

My question -- and it is not a troll! -- is whether any readers have
had experience with both the Orion and the SDR1000, including the ups
and downs of software/firmware revisions and life on the discussion
groups.  Comparisons?

I am wondering whether I have enough hours in the day to work with
both of these "interesting" products.

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing at gmail.com - AA6E at arrl.net
President, Yale University Amateur Radio Club - W1YU
http://blog.aa6e.net