[TenTec] Orion II AT tuner question

Duane A Calvin ac5aa at juno.com
Fri Mar 31 23:56:06 EST 2006

Gerald - isn't that the purpose of attenuators?  I'm not sure what
benefit is to be gained by mismatching RX antenna impedance, although I
agree it's not highly critical they be exactly matched.

I was thinking Merle might have a point - I'm trying to set up the
conditions where I saw the attenuation on a different band when
accidentally working cross-band, but I'm not able to replicate that
result at the moment.  However, on 30m, where my G5RV Jr is definitely
non-resonant, 4.5 - 5:1 SWR, as a result of using the tuner, band noise
goes from S 3.5 to S5 (relative S-meter reading.)  If the tuner is not in
the RX antenna path, how would this be explained (single VFO, simplex
operation)?  Selecting a different band on the TX VFO causes the tuner to
turn off, but the S-meter still reads S 3.5. I'm on an original Orion
with 2.56 level firmware in case anyone else is also trying this.  If I
had an RF signal generator, I could do better measurements, but I'll have
to live with noise level at the moment.

73,  Duane