[TenTec] Orion as AM radio

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon May 1 08:59:00 EDT 2006

>>If I wanted to get into AM operation, no solid state rig could ever
>>satisfy me. I'd want a big tube transmitter. <<<

There's this mythical idea hams seem to have, that decent AM can only happen
with a big plate modulated tube rig.   I have no idea where this comes from,
given the fact that broadcasters are ditching this techology for solid state
transmitters as fast as they can.  Turn on your medium wave AM receiver and
tune around to any radio station.  Odds are 3:1 that you are hearing a solid
state rig, especially if you are tuned into a big 50 kw station.  About the
only ones left running primary vacuum rigs are the dinky daytimers that
aren't generating enough revenue to go solid state.

the best sounding ham AM rigs out there now are solid state, either class E,
dsp generated AM from the flex radio, or low level modulated exciters
driving amps.  a few guys are doing well with old tube broadcast rigs and
globe kings, gold dust twins etc. but for every one of them there are 100
with dx100s who are unbearable.

rob / k5uj