[TenTec] Orion as AM radio

Ron Castro ronc at sonic.net
Mon May 1 11:31:17 EDT 2006

You're right...plate modulation in broadcasting died many years ago in favor
of PDM and some esoteric new digital methods that work by actually
constructing the final RF wave form by turning on an appropriate number of
high-speed switching transistors.  New transmitters up to the 50 kW level
are now modular with hot-swappable, multiple RF sections and switching power
supplies.  All the 'big iron' is gone and a modern 50 kW unit weighs less
than 2000 lbs. and occupies only two side-by side racks.

Ron N6AHA