[TenTec] re If you ground it - it will come!

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Fri May 5 19:03:56 EDT 2006

I have read all the information on proper grounding of a ham station and
lightning protection.  On the basis of all I have read, here's what I do
now:

When a thunderstorm approaches, I completely unplug all AC lines, and
disconnect all antennas.  I remove all ground straps and put my gear in a
pile and sell it on the internet.  I pull down all my antennas, and cancel
my license with the FCC and become a non-ham until the storm passes by.
Sometimes nothing happens.  I sure feel sold and misled by the wx service
when that happens!  But then I retake all the tests, get my license back,
setup a station and get back to operating until the next storm.  Never had a
problem.

73
rob / k5uj