[TenTec] Used Orion or new Orion II?

Tod Glenn n7jqw at cordite.com
Tue May 9 21:38:41 EDT 2006

On May 9, 2006, at 3:05 PM, kq6xy wrote:

> Since I have no empirical experience with either, and I am not
> enamored with a clolor display, can someone share his or her
> experience with bot rigs before I buy a new Orinon II?
>
> You can do if off or on list.

I just picked up and Orion I from TenTec today.  I can't imagine the
II does much more to justify the cost difference.  I paid $2900 with
the internal tuner, with the base price for the OII being something
like $3995.

All I can say is it's the best radio I've ever owned, and i've had
quite a few.  More features than I can use right now, but that may
change.

Take a look at Sherwood Engineerings evaluation of various
receivers.  The difference between the Orion I and II is small, and
those two are numbers 1 and 2 in the list.  The $15,000 Icom IC-7800
comes in at # 10.
----
Tod Glenn
N7JQW