[TenTec] usb to serial

K4IA at aol.com K4IA at aol.com
Tue May 16 09:09:45 EDT 2006

I have used several different USB > Serial devices:

The MicroHam USB>Serial (no longer made) works good with some CW  hesitation
on rare occasion.  I now use it for Rig control on a MarkV Field  with a
laptop at my office.

The MicroHam MicroKeyer got rid of the CW hesitation. Use it on an  Orion.
This works well on CW because it uses the Winkeyer chip to decode  signals from
the USB and turn them into CW instead of using the USB to turn  on/off the
serial line.  Eliminates the timing issues associated with  serial generated CW.
Works best plugged into a root USB port (not a hub where it  is shared)

Prolific USB>Serial adapter cable. Use it with my Idiom Press rotor  control
card.

Keyspan USB>Serial 4 port converter.  Use it to control  my K2  and FT-100d
with the Orion running through the MicroKeyer.  Had a wee bit  of trouble with
this one as one of the ports seems to crash the system.  I  avoid that port so
I consider it a 3 port converter until I figure out how to  work around the
crashes.

I have had various cables: one from Belkin and one unnamed - they both
worked.

Bottom line - they work.  You might have an issue and have to move  some
things around.  They are not always plug-and-play simple.   Documentation and
instructions can be weak as it is with all computer stuff  these days.  Why is
that?  Seems like everything is a computer puzzle  game - we are supposed to
figure it out on our own.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA