[TenTec] Relay for Corsair, argosy

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at storm.weather.net
Wed May 17 22:49:22 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 20:30 -0600, Tod Glenn wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> I'd like to be able to use the AF power switch on my Corsair and
> Argosy with my Astron PS.  TenTec states that the AF switch is not
> rated to use 12v at the required amperage.  They recommend using a
> relay, Guardian series 200 or Potter Brumfield PR3DYO.  Neither seems
> readily available.  Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement?
>
> Thanks.

Use the standard automotive cube relay. Its good for 30 amps and the
coil current is small enough for the switch contacts. When you wire it
in, put a diode in series with the coil to act as reverse polarity
protection and a diode across the coil to hold down the inductive kick.

I use a 16 amp ATC type fuse as PA protection. It won't blow until about
20 amps and so far I've blown a few and my Corsair II PA still works
fine.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,