[TenTec] why I like my orion

CATFISHTWO at aol.com CATFISHTWO at aol.com
Sat May 20 16:00:09 EDT 2006

I have an original Orion, and I love it.  It has the best  receiver of any of
my rigs and I have 10 hf rigs total, and have owned a bunch  more.  my
current list includes a ts 2000 and a 746 pro and an 847, among  others.

the Orion has so much controllability it can actually be a bit hard to
learn.  you have something like a million settings doe AGC and can tailor  you tx
audio along with your rx audio,

for RTTy I narrow the bandwidth to 500 cycles and open the PBT up to about
1000 cycles and this gives me a narrow  patch on the computer screen as I  tune
up  and only shows the rtty signal I am listening too. on ssb it make  a
crowded contest band sound like everyone has moved 5 kc's apart and are just
waiting for you to S&P up the line.

it has a steep learning curve and still has a couple of very minor hick ups
to work on , but its like buying a new Mercedes and then complaining the ash
tray is too small. these are minor problems , others are in situations you
would  not normally use.

it also has the  best qsk keying, and a built in keyer, 3 memories for  cw, 3
memories for voice so push the button and cq dx from N6AJR.. a nice  screen,
good sized knobs and lots more.

I like mine, and it runs with my logger and antenna so in a contest or
dxing, I click on a telnet spot, it logs in the logger, puts the steppir there,
moves the alpha 87a there and puts the Orion there. I key up  make the  contact
then  tab, tab, enter and ready for nest spot.

 I love it. its the best receiver I own.

tom N6AJR