[TenTec] Scout...the VW bug of radios

ARDUJENSKI at aol.com ARDUJENSKI at aol.com
Tue May 23 12:52:37 EDT 2006

Not everyone loved the VW bug nor will everyone appreciate the Scout. It  is
a basic but effective radio and gets the job done. Like the Beetle, folks
will tinker with mods but when the day is over the basic model is the most
desired. I do find it rather amazing how folks with no experience with a
particular radio are always first to offer criticism or their "expert" advice.  For me
the all the specs in the world will not replace actual "road-testing"  the
radio.

The comments about not being able to send fast code, well I am sort of  one
of those that believe having a drawl is not bad (even with CW)--grin-- and
also believe menues belong in restaurants and paddles in canoes. But hey that  is
me.

Stuart, as a long time Scout owner, I have a lot of respect for your
feedback and you were the ham who first convinced me the Scout was a good  solid
radio. I think the beauty is in the simplicity. OK so the hiss is a bit  annoying
at times.  As many have suggested it is the operator that makes  the radio,
not the other way around.

The Scout will be my QRP rig, whether I drive to the field in my 67  VW bus
or operate out of our log home. For some of the critics I will close  with
stating that no the Scout finals are not called "pills"  (smile).

Alan  KB7MBI
Woodinville, WA

(Corsair, Scout, and lots of boat anchors)