[TenTec] Ten Tec (Mobile CW Paddle)

Gene Freund genen8kua at comcast.net
Thu May 25 13:14:20 EDT 2006

I have a total of 2-1/2 days' cw mobile in 2000 when I drove from Dallas-Ft. Worth to the Baltimore-Washington area.  It was fun, though I only had 20 or so QSOs.

Copying in your head is a must, but a skill worth developing anyway.

I used a Nye paddle that I'd picked up on a whim at a hamfest.  It turns out it was wired backward (or left handed) for the the keyer I was using.  This turned out to be a blessing, as I could place the paddle in the seat next to me with the paddles facing the FRONT of the vehicle, rest my right palm on the metal cover of the paddle unit and still have my fingers free to work the paddles.  Since it was wired backwards, this kept my thumb doing dits and forefinger doing dahs.  It worked great, and if I needed to take my hand off the paddle to shift or steer, it just stayed there when I let go.  Can't do that with a hand mic.  Not for those with tiny hands (I wear a size large - 7.5 to 8.0 - glove).

Regards,

Gene
N8KUA
Ellicott City, MD