[TenTec] RF in Audio Mods for Jupiter

Larry Menzel retire at means.net
Sun May 28 15:28:28 EDT 2006

I agree, and I suspect you are suffering from some version of "common mode"
rf interference.

I suggest:
1.  Make sure your coax does not run in close proximity to your AC lines in
the shack if possible.
2.  Make sure if you have other runs of coaxial cable that they're not
bundled together close to the radio.
3.  Do you have an antenna rotator?  Make sure that line is not running
directly next to your coax.  A couple of turns on a large doughnut torroid
on the rotator line can be very helpful in breaking common mode
interference.
4.  Where your coax enters the shack, form a coaxial balun, about 6-8 turns
on an 8" diameter and tape or tiewrap it in place.  This will help keep rf
off your coax as well.
5.  Make sure your amp and all radios and power supplies are grounded with
separate ground straps to a common tie point and thence to a good earth
ground...not cold water pipes or electrical system ground.  Coax braid works
great.

You should not have any difficulty running a kw with your Jupiter or any
other radio for that matter.  I have two amps in the shack one on each
Orion, and run them at 1500 watts out all the time during two radio contests
without any rfi or rf in my radios.

Good luck.

Larry, N0XB
Northfield, MN