[TenTec] After Market tuner for O II?

Ron ron at morell.us
Thu Nov 2 12:13:52 EST 2006

Tom,
I have the LDG OT-11P installed in my ORION II and it works fine.
Installation is straight forward and without much risk.  The tuner features
memories but you can force a retune by holding down the tune button.

The negative issue is with software control, such as the N4PY software.  I
think this is an ORION II firmware problem and not a N4PY problem.  What
happens is that when the software program controls the LDG-OT-11P tuner
(especially the bypass tuner function), the display on the ORION II stops
updating and the tuner bypass control does not work from software.  When the
menu button on the ORION II is pressed it will resume updating the display
but with some display artifacts remaining on the screen.  The more the
software tuner controls are used the worse the problem becomes.  The work
around is to set the N4PY program for external tuner and control the LDG
OT-11P tuner from the ORION II front panel tuner button.  Yes I have the
internal tuner enabled in the TX menu on the ORION II.

I reported the problem to dits and bits as follows:
"Gary,
I installed the LDG 0T-11P auto tuner today and it works just fine from the
ORION II control panel.  When the internal tuner is controlled from external
software, the frequency display on the Orion does not update properly until
menu is pressed. I'm using version 2.037j.  I think is probably due to a
firmware bug."

I did not receive a response from Gary on this issue.

So if you don't try to control the tuner from software, it should work
satisfactorily.
FWIW
Ron KA7U